GW Late Night will continue to host events throughout the duration of the Fall 2020 semester in a virtual format only. We will utilize this format until the GW community returns to in-person instruction.
GW Late Night is a series of evening and weekend events, providing space for students to have fun and socialize, explore new interests, and take a break from academics, without the temptation or risks involved with drinking alcohol or being in an environment where alcohol is present.
Purpose of GW Late Night
The 2019-2020 AlcoholEdu for College module, completed by GW's first-year undergraduate and transfer students, provides baseline data that informs the GW Late Night initiative. The data highlighted behaviors among those that consume alcohol, and outlined the need for an initiative to mitgiate these high risk drinking behaviors and to provide an alternative to drinking. The Student Life team works collaboratively together to plan fun, inclusive, and engaging GW Late Night events for the community.
Students identified on-campus residence as their most common drinking location.
Students identified "having a good time with friends"as their primary reasons to choose to drink.
Students identified Fridays and Saturdays as days of the week when most alcohol was consumed.
Host a GW Late Night Event
Our team is seeking engaged students, active student organizations, and campus partners to partner with us to bring fun, late night events to the GW community. If you or your organization is interested in participating or have additional questions, please complete the host interest form or contact our team at [email protected].
What are GW Late Night events?
GW Late Night events are:
- Events that occur on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night
- Take place during the hours of 8pm-2am (EST)
- Open to every member of the GW community
- Alcohol-free environment
- Offered virtually or in-person (Fall 2020 events can only be offered virtually)
Organizations hosting GW Late Night Event(s) will receive the following:
- Event Consultation with Health Promotion and Education team to assist with the planning and implementation process, including virtual set-up
- Event promotion via the GW Late Night webpage, social media, University Calendar and Engage
- Recognition as a GW Late Night student organization partner