At GW, we aim to create a community that cares for each other. The CARE Team fosters this goal by creating a pathway through which students who may need additional support can be identified and referred to the most appropriate services. Through the CARE Team, students are given the support they need to persist and succeed at GW and beyond
Reports are monitored Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:00 pm. If a report requires immediate outreach or follow-up or is an emergency please contact GW Emergency Services at 202-994-6111.
The CARE Referral Process
How It Works
Students, parents, faculty, and staff can identify students that may need additional support through the CARE Team’s online form. The CARE Team is a cross-departmental support system that recognizes that student concerns are often multi-faceted. Students are connected to resources through inter-departmental collaboration to provide them with appropriate and personalized outreach.
Lifecycle of a CARE Referral
- What are some common signs that a student might benefit from CARE outreach?
Academic indicators include:
- Sudden decline in quality of work or grades
- Repeated absences
- Multiple requests for extensions on assignments
- Overly demanding of faculty and staff time and attention
- Disturbing content in writing or presentation (i.e. violence, death, etc.)
- Continuous classroom disruptions
Physical indicators include:
- Marked changes in physical appearance, including deterioration in grooming, hygiene, or weight change
- Excessive fatigue/sleep disturbance
- Intoxication, hangovers, or smelling of alcohol
- Disoriented or “out of it”
- Garbled, tangential, disconnected, or slurred speech
- Behavior is out of context or bizarre
Psychological indicators include:
- Self-disclosure of personal distress such as family problems, financial difficulties, grief, or relationship issues
- Unusual/disproportionate emotional response to events
- Excessive tearfulness or panic reactions
- Irritability or unusual apathy
- Verbal abuse (i.e. taunting, badgering, intimidation)
- Expression of concern about the student by their peers
- Delusions and paranoia
- Can I submit a CARE Referral anonymously?
CARE referrals can be submitted anonymously; individuals who are submitting the report are not required to provide their information.
- Can I submit a CARE Referral for graduate students?
Yes. CARE Referrals can be submitted for any student (graduate or undergraduate) at GW.
- I’m concerned about a GW staff or faculty member. Can I submit a CARE Referral for them?
The CARE Team is exclusively for current GW students. If you have a concern about the behavior of a GW staff or faculty member, please email [email protected].
- Who can I contact if I have a question about the CARE Team?
The CARE Team can be reached at [email protected] or 202-994-6555.
Raise High Folder
The Raise High Folder is a faculty/staff guide with additional information on supporting students' wellbeing. The document contains information on observing and communicating with students in distress and what campus resources may be available to them.
Contact the CARE Team
If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please email [email protected].